Ten professional and two academic projects have been named winners of the Congress for the New Urbanism's 2009 Charter Awards. The winning projects will be honored during a ceremony at the group's annual meeting, which will take place on June 13 in Denver. For more information about all of the winners, go to cnu.org.
2009 Charter Awards jury: Victor Dover (chair), Dover Kohl & Partners; Eduardo Castillo, Castillo Arquitectos; Doug Farr, Farr & Associates; Evan Jones, Multuplex; Diane Miller, Envision Central Texas; Karen Parolek, Opticos Design; Ferhat Zerin, Gingko Planning & Design.
Region, Metropolis, City & Town Scale
• Buffalo Comprehensive Plan, Buffalo, N.Y.; submitted by The Urban Design Project, SUNY Buffalo School of Architecture and Planning
• Hertfordshire Guide to Growth—2021, Hertfordshire, UK; submitted by Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co.
Neighborhood, District & Corridor Scale
• Crystal City Vision Plan 2050, Arlington, Va.; submitted by Torti Gallas and Partners
• East Riverfront Extension, Savannah, Ga.; submitted by Sottile & Sottile
• The SmartCode; submitted by Center for Applied Transect Studies and Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co.
• Baldwin Park, Orlando, Fla.; submitted by New Broad Street Investments
• River North, San Antonio, Texas; submitted by Moule & Polyzoides
• House Office Buildings Facilities Plan and Preliminary South Capitol Area Plan, Washington, D.C.; submitted by Wallace, Roberts & Todd
Block, Street & Building Scale
• Columbia Heights, Washington, D.C.; submitted by Torti Gallas and Partners
• Artscape Wychwood Barns, Toronto, Ontario; submitted by du Toit Architects
• Guo He Lou Theatre Complex, Beijing, China; submitted by Kai Hu, University of Notre Dame
• Planning Abaco, Abaco Island, Bahamas; submitted by Andrews University School of Architecture