Architect C. David Robinson of Sausalito, Calif., died on Feb. 2 at age 72 from complications of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, the progressive neurodegenerative condition also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.
He was born Chalfant David Robinson on June 12, 1936, in New York. Robinson received a bachelor's in art history from Princeton University in 1957 and a master of architecture degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1965. After several years of working at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill in San Francisco, he co-founded Robinson, Mills & Williams in 1970, then later joined Polshek and Partners.
In 1997 Robinson established his own firm, C. David Robinson Architects, in San Francisco. Robinson is known for the design of many local projects, among them the Charles M. Schulz Museum, the Cliff House, the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, and Temple Emanu-El.
Those wishing to honor Robinson are asked to contribute to the C. David Robinson Endowment Fund, c/o The ALS Association Greater Bay Area Chapter, 565 Commercial St., 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111.