In January, LG Surfaces challenged students at five U.S. design schools to come up with product concepts—using the manufacturer’s Hi-Macs, Eden, or Spectrum lines—that could be used in a commercial application, such as hospitality, retail, or office. Winners of the LG Surfaces Beyond Design Challenge would have their concepts manufactured by LG fabrication partner Sterling Surfaces. The designs by Lee, Rall, and Vu were manufactured in time to be showcased at April’s Milan Furniture Fair; all five pieces will be shown at this year’s Greenbuild expo in Phoenix.
- Soo Kang Lee, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign School of Art & Design: Outdoor Chair X
- Tim Norris, Arizona State University School of Architecture + Landscape Architecture: Equilibrium chair
- Michael Rall, North Carolina State University College of Design: Echo nightstand
- Christopher Terrell, Auburn University College of Architecture, Design, and Construction: Nu-bicle
- Paul Vu, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, College of Environmental Design: Jinza table