Bourdette Building was the only small-scale brick commercial building left standing in San Francisco's downtown area after one of the most significant earthquakes in history shook up the city, crumbling about 28,000 buildings and sparking fires that destroyed almost 500 city blocks. Located at Second and Mission streets, the two-story Bourdette Building, built in 1904 and designed by local architects Walter D. Bliss and William B. Faville, is now sandwiched between skyscrapers. Since the 1906 earthquake, the building has seen a number of alterations, including seismic repairs in 1995 and recent re-roofing.
The San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission has recommended that the Board of Supervisors designate the Bourdette Building as a historic landmark, but the building’s trustee, Gloria Yee, opposes the status because she believes it would reduce the property value.
Read the full story on San Francisco Examiner.
And find even more great stories in our daily News Roundup.