The architects restored the 1857 Marine Commandant’s House (also known as Building 92) and connected it to a new 24,000-square-foot addition behind. The southern façade’s perforated metal screen, manufactured by Airflex Industries, covers a curtainwall by Kalwall.
The north and east faces are clad in Morin Corp. metal panels in a nod to the building’s industrial environs.
Connecting the exhibition space in the historic building to the services and leasable office space and other venues in the addition is a three-story volume, spanned by bridges that feature railings from FMB. The brick on the 1857 building was restored by King’s County Waterproofing Corp.
Relics from the site’s naval past fill the lobby; tickets for the galleries can be purchased at the front desk, which was fabricated by Ferra Designs, the same firm responsible for the Cor-Ten benches in the forecourt.