Project DescriptionFROM THE ARCHITECTS:
Originally constructed in 1881 and listed on the US National Register of Historic Places, the historic O Street Market was the first and one of the three remaining 19th century public markets in the capital city.
For years a landmark in Washington, DC's Shaw neighborhood, by the early 21st century the building stood derelict. Today it has been restored as the anchor of a mixed-use development that revitalizes street life and enhances services in this burgeoning are adjacent to the city's new convention center. The project spanning 2-blocks provides a mix of residential, hotel, and commercial uses, with the residential component including a range of condominium, rental, and senior housing types. New facades of lively modern character frame the original market building, which has been restored and adapted to accommodate a major grocery store tenant.