Getting everything our client wanted into this master bathroom suite was not easy: views of their wooded property from three directions; a dramatic ceiling treatment; a separate toilet room; a shower for two with changing area; “his” and “hers” closets; linen storage; and a full view of the tub from the bathroom entrance (in fact, the tub is centered on the entrance). In terms of aesthetics, our client preferred clean lines, a spa-like feel with a touch of glam, and something "unexpected." Our design solution met both functional and aesthetic needs while providing everything our client wanted. Here are some highlights:
• Vaulted-hip ceiling featuring beetle-killed wood (the "unexpected")—a dramatic juxtaposition for the raindrop-glass chandelier (the "glam").
• Stunning view of the freestanding tub centered on bathroom entrance. We created a boxed alcove to show off tub. The clean-lined rectangular fixture follows a rhythm of rectangles in the space: the windows, plumbing shelf, and alcove itself. A second alcove at the vanity provides cohesiveness to the design while isolating the main ceiling to enable the vaulted-hip feature. Illuminated niches on opposite wall continue the rectangle rhythm.
• Eight-foot-long vanity flanked by custom, built-in medicine cabinets on side walls. Vanity includes makeup station, drawers fitted with electrical outlets for hairdryers, and instant-hot water tap for shaving on “his” side.
• Separate showering zone featuring an open shower finished with hand-made ceramic tile (for cleanability and visual interest). Changing area outside shower has its own floor drain to capture shower run-off; a bench with towel storage beneath; and hooks for towels and clothes.
• Toilet room with a window and custom, recessed beechwood magazine rack.
• “His” and “hers” custom beechwood closets flanking the hallway just outside the bathroom entrance. “Her” closet features closed storage with mirrored doors, a felt-lined jewelry drawer, and pull-out hamper, among other elements. “His” features closed storage just below the ceiling, a built-in dresser, and tilt-out hamper.
This project deserves a Custom Master Bathroom award because we balanced our clients' many demands with design principles to produce a unique space that is at once welcoming, calming, and functional.