Project DescriptionFROM THE ARCHITECTS:
Combining two existing apartments within a 20th century jam factory to create a new, larger home for a single professional.
The building originally dates from 1902, constructed as a factory for Sir William Hartley’s famous jam making company. Completed in September 2013, the proposal sought to re-establish the essence of warehouse living, which was overlooked in the original conversion. The upper level is conceived as a single space containing a large open-plan living, dining and kitchen area. The lower level accommodates the more private, cellular bedrooms and bathrooms. The floors are connected with a new staircase, located to keep the circulation in the lower floor to a minimum, whilst providing an appropriate division of space to the living area.
The building’s existing fabric (boxed-in and concealed in the original conversion) is exposed. Original brickwork, concrete soffits and structural steelwork are revealed. The new joinery elements (stair enclosure, kitchen, bookshelves) are precise pieces and contrast with the building’s original fabric making the contemporary elements distinct and legible.