Project DescriptionFROM THE ARCHITECTS:
The Middle East Center of St. Antony’s College is the University of Oxford’s center for interdisciplinary study of the Modern Middle East. The center was founded in 1957 and it is focused on research on humanities and social sciences with a wide reference to the Arab World and its geographic adjacencies. The Center’s research core is a specialized library and substantial paper and photographic archive covering material from 1800’s onwards. At present, the Middle East Center’s Library and Administration facilities are housed in the former Rectory of the Church of SS. Philip and James at 68 Woodstock Road. The archive is housed in the basement of the neighboring property at 66 Woodstock Road, sharing the building with other facilities and rooms of the college. The Middle East Center also had 3 workrooms in the same property. To tie in with the St. Antony’s College future plans the Middle East Center is planning a new Library and Archive to meet the current use for research and academic activities. Construction for the Zaha Hadid Architects designed scheme, situated in the garden plot between 68 and 66-64 Woodstock Road, is due to commence in January 2013. The new building will comply with the College’s vision for growth and add formal coherence to the existing quad, and tie in with the ambitious ADP’s masterplan for St. Antony’s college.