Project DescriptionTobin & Associates and Denver-based Ohlson Lavoie Collaborative (OL) worked in tandem to expand and remodel the historic UW facility formerly known as Half Acre Gym. The $27 million two-phase project allowed students to continue to use portions of the facility throughout its renovation and expansion. Phase I of the project, completed in January 2015, reopened the new 101,000-square-foot east portion of the building as the Half Acre Recreation and Wellness Center. Phase II remodeled 40,500 square feet of existing space on the historic west portion of the building and reopened in Spring 2015.
The generous use of Wausau’s SuperWall throughout the Half Acre Recreation and Wellness Center demonstrates the importance of natural light in the building’s design. The gym’s east side boasts a three-story curtainwall, offering visitors and passers-by views of the new climbing wall and other interior spaces.
Along with the curtainwall, B&W Glass installed Wausau’s pre-engineered, 36-inch-deep ClearStory exterior sun shades in a five-blade design following the radius of the building. These aluminum sun shades optimize energy performance and thermal comfort by controlling solar heat gain, managing visible light transmittance and maximizing natural daylighting, all while preserving outside views. Linetec finished the sun shades in Champagne anodize to complement the building’s light-colored facade.
The renovated facility now includes dedicated academic spaces for the kinesiology/health and theater/dance departments. The facility also features a new entrance and lounge area, new racquetball courts, an expanded outdoor program space, a climbing wall and expanded fitness spaces.
Half Acre Recreation and Wellness Center, 1000 E. University Ave., Laramie, Wyoming; http://www.uwyo.edu/rec
* Owner: University of Wyoming; Laramie, Wyoming; http://www.uwyo.edu
* Architects: Tobin & Associates, P.C.; Cheyenne, Wyoming; http://www.tobin-assoc.com
with Ohlson Lavoie Collaborative; Denver; http://www.olcdesigns.com
* General contractor: Groathouse Construction, Inc.; Cody, Wyoming; http://www.groathouse.com
* Glazing contractor: B&W Glass, Inc.; Cheyenne, Wyoming; http://www.bwglassinc.com
* Glazing systems - manufacturer: Wausau Window and Wall Systems; Wausau, Wisconsin; http://www.wausauwindow.com
* Glazing systems - finisher: Linetec; Wausau, Wisconsin; http://www.linetec.com