Project DescriptionThrough careful site planning this two-story addition and renovation of a 1920’s New England Colonial puts the house and Garage into a composition that creates a protected south-facing patio. Although decidedly contemporary, the addition takes inspiration from traditional New England architecture in both concept and detail. The ‘garden kitchen’, a large room that is both kitchen and dining room, opens through four doors to the south facing patio. The stone steps, (granite curbing laid on its side) connecting the kitchen to the patio provide a counterpoint to the wood construction of the house and suggest site-specific permanence.
The interior modifications, accommodating the program of a new kitchen and enlarged dining room, (first floor) and a new study and second bathroom (second floor) also relieve the feeling of ‘containment’ of the 1920s rooms. The existing traditional plan consisting of discrete rooms is modified so that each room has views extending the length or width of the building.