Designed and constructed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue in 1924, the 192,000-square-foot building is located in a prominent location along the National Mall adjacent to the Lincoln Memorial. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This comprehensive rehabilitation project integrates the conservation and preservation of the existing building while sensitively incorporating sustainable strategies and technologies. The design seamlessly integrates contemporary systems and engineering infrastructure within the historic fabric of the existing structure. The project required review by the Commission of Fine Arts, and the DC Historic Preservation Office.
The building serves as the headquarters for the National Academy of Sciences, a society of distinguished scholars dedicated to the furtherance and general use of science and technology.