The relocation of the Kansas City Ballet to the new Todd Bolender Center for Dance and Creativity involved the preservation and adaptive reuse of the former Power House at Union Station. The building was originally designed by architect Jarvis Hunt and was constructed from 1913-1914, representing an important era in Kansas City history.
The challenge of creating an organized program diagram within an existing historical building was welcomed by BNIM and resulted in creatively reusing existing structure and interior elements in new applications. Six studios and a performance theater that seats 180 are large components of the program. The Ballet’s new home also houses administrative offices, wardrobe, costumes and production areas.