Located in the heart of the University’s historic campus core, the Music Building is listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places and was originally designed by Architects Cope & Stewardson in 1892 as a dormitory and school for a girl’s orphanage. Ann Beha Architects' renovation and expansion consolidates dispersed academic resources, revitalizes a prominent 19th century landmark, and provides new common spaces for faculty and students. It serves as a model for the compatibility of historic and contemporary design expression.
Equal in size to the historic structure, the addition extends the existing building’s massing, materiality, rhythms and proportions. The most acoustically critical programs are housed in the addition, including classrooms, recital and practice rooms, recording studios and faculty offices. Small and large landscaped spaces create new quiet study and gathering areas, and open the Music Department and activities to the University.