Construction began in August 2015.
Project DescriptionFROM THE ARCHITECTS:
The Patterson House at 15 Dupont Circle was designed for Mr. and Mrs. Robert Patterson by Stanford White. Construction of the Italian Neoclassical house began in 1901 and was completed in 1903. The house was designed and used for entertaining on a grand scale. President Calvin Coolidge and his wife lived there in 1927 while the White House was being renovated, and Charles Lindbergh was a visitor in June of that year. The house remained in the Patterson family until 1948, when long-time resident Eleanor (Cissy) Patterson died and left the property to the American Red Cross. The Red Cross sold the house to the Washington Club three years later. The Club built the two-story Annex in 1956. The Patterson House was listed in the DC Inventory of Historic Sites in 1964 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The Patterson House will be renovated for use as a multi-family residence. The rehabilitation will include: cleaning, repointing, and repairing of the exterior masonry and terra cotta; repair and repainting of the windows; and rehabilitation of the slate roof. The main stair and major rooms on the piano nobile will remain intact. The bedrooms and servants’ quarters on the upper floors will be slightly altered to accommodate new living units.
The non-contributing Annex will be demolished and replaced with an addition of striking contemporary design. The addition differs from the Patterson House in design and materials but reflects the same architectural rigor as the Patterson House. It is separated from the Patterson House by 14 feet, allowing the roof and chimneys of the house to remain visible, and linked to the house by a two-story connection set well back from the P Street sidewalk that also contains a new accessible entrance. The project will enhance the landmark Patterson House and give it a vital new use that will ensure its long-term viability.