- Project Name
- Henriksen Butler Studio
630 South 11th Street
- Carpenter Sellers Del Gatto Architects
- Henriksen Butler
- Project Types
- Project Scope
- 4,800 sq. feet
- Year Completed
- Shared by
- Elena Otter
- Dapper Development , Owner
Architect of Record: Carpenter Sellers Del Gatto Architects ,General Contractor: Master Built,Other: Master Mechanical,Plumbing Engineer: Sparks,Electrical Engineer: Abaico,Other: DIRTT,Civil Engineer: Lochsa,Structural Engineer: Wright Engineers
- Project Status
Located in Downtown Las Vegas adjacent to the Arts District, the Henriksen Butler Showroom contributes to the ongoing revitalization of the Downtown area that has been actively attracting a variety of entrepreneurs into its expanded art community, helping to create a more vibrant and walkable downtown.
The project occupies the old “Gamblers Book Shop”, also known as Gamblers Book Club Building, that was a Las Vegas establishment for 30-plus; originally built in 1955. The overall goal behind the building is to embrace and showcase the Henriksen Butler Brand with minimal yet powerful interventions to the existing building. MAINTAIN - REUSE - REPURPOSE are key driving forces of the design.
The existing tall vaulted ceilings became the perfect setting for the collaborative open plan that houses the HB team brand and showroom. Within this vaulted ceiling, spaces that require privacy are conceived as lower volumes that juxtapose the overall high volume; a play of solid / void. Skylights were uncovered, the existing ceiling was removed to reveal the bow string trusses that were restored leaving the builders original markings intact.
Henriksen Butler utilizes this space as their main Las Vegas showroom. Programmed spaces within the showroom include an open office environment complete with meeting rooms, a business center, private offices, a design library, a living room, kitchen space and an outdoor showroom / patio space.
• The existing brick was sand blasted and re-used around the entire facility.
• The main entry planned to capture street presence along Charleston Boulevard is furred out to create a pure box
• Existing building openings are maintained and along the south elevation they are enlarged to provide natural daylighting and create connections between the interior open office showroom space and patio space beyond.
• A steel trellis composed of rectangular tube steel sections protects the building from south sun exposure, while creating a canopy that highlights the entry and provides safe respite for showroom users and visitors
• Horizontal wood slats screen complete the patio screen enclosure providing a warm feel to the interior space beyond.
• Native sculptural landscape, rhythmically placed, softens the building edges and helps filter views into the interior showroom space
• The HB logo / brand is introduced to the main facade at the entry piece. Horizontal steel trellis members turn vertically, and are painted red displaying the masked out and painted white HB logo that becomes an additional art piece within the larger Arts District
• Perforated / repurposed weathered steel panels anchored six inches away from the building create an interesting shadow play / composition that highlights the entry corner further. Perforated weathered steel is also introduced as a shading element along the east openings.
• A series of existing interior skylights provide daylighting and LED lighting is provided throughout. Existing concrete floors are grinded and polished within the reception area, living room, and kitchen. Exposed aggregate concrete floors occur at the exterior entry and patio.
• Sustainability is an inherent outcome of the projects main overall goal - MAINTAIN - REUSE - REPURPOSE
2019 ULI Placemaking Award, Transformative Place
2018 AIA Nevada Honor Award, Built Category
2018 ENR Southwest Best Projects Small Project, Merit Award
2018 City of Las Vegas Mayor’s Urban Design Award
2018 NAIOP Southern Nevada, Redevelopment Honor Award
2018 NAIOP Southern Nevada, NAIOP Works Merit Award
2016 AIA Nevada Citation Award, Unbuilt Category