Central Library, the crown jewel of the St. Louis Public Library system, closed its doors in 2010 for a two-year restoration and renewal of the historic 1912 Cass Gilbert-designed building. The transformative project increases public access, modernizes the library for the 21st century, and enhances the building's stature as a cultural treasure. The North Wing ushers in the 21st century with the removal of old book stacks and the insertion of a newly constructed "building within the building." A three-story, multistory public atrium creates an accessible and welcoming entry, with new public spaces that include a 250-seat theater and teen rooms. In total, the project has created more than 40,000 square feet of new public space in the library. The building's Great Hall and four public wings are restored and revitalized to their turn-of-the-century splendor.
For more details and images of the City of St. Louis Public Library, Central Library Expansion, visit ARCHITECT's Project Gallery.
Visit the ARCHITECT Project Gallery main page to add your own user-generated architecture.